Skip to main content

Old PC Speakers? Re-purpose Them!

I think that many of us would have a pair of spare working speakers lying around. Maybe it came with the PC when you bought as a set, a free gift when you bought your laptop? Or a present from some time ago?

If it is collecting dust, there are a few options.

Donate them - many others will appreciate the speakers

Use as LCD/LED TV speakers - most panel TVs are so thin today that it makes me wonder who any decent sound can come out of its tiny speakers. Short of using an amplifier or home theater system, just plug in the speakers to the RCA or 3.5mm jack and you will have upgraded sound from the TV.

Turn it into Bluetooth enabled speakers - this is what I did for my old pair of Creative speakers. (Is the brand still around? They were the creators of the SoundBlaster soundcards in the heydays!!)

These are easily 12 years old. Still working good with very good bass!

So I've gone online and gotten one of these:


I forgot to take a photo from the other side. Its basically a power plug with a 3.5mm output jack and Bluetooth 4.1 receiver built it. About RM40 (less than USD10) all in.

Plug it into a power socket, plug in the 3.5mm jack from the speakers, pair it with your music player, mobile, whatever and Walaaaa! Wireless speakers with very decent SQ!

Make sure you get at least BT 4.0 and above as the SQ has improved by heaps (at least from BT 2.0 - which I compared).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

[REVIEW] Amazfit Pace (US firmware version) - One Month On

First off - this is purely a review piece on the Amazfit Pace fitness tracker/watch after about one month of usage. The watch specifications and many unboxing videos can be found easily on the net, so I will not cover them. Some background: I am a casual runner - I run regularly, 4 to 6 time a week, average of 65km per week currently. I am always seeking ways to run faster, but am in no hurry or in any sort of plan. I have no previous ACTUAL experience of fitness tracker/watch although I have been eyeing on the Garmin Forerunner 235 and Suunto Ambit 3 Run. The day the Amazfit Pace was launched in China, I have made inquiries but realized that it was only available in Chinese. (Although I AM an Asian Chinese - my Chinese sucks big time - story for another day). For launching price of 799 yuan, I had no qualms on purchasing it, provided it is available in English. Part of the reason I was holding out on Garmin and Suunto was that I could not justify the price to pay for a fi

[DIY] Blazebar Quick Release Paracord Bracelet

My 1st attempt at the blazebar paracord bracelet! I chose this design as it allows for quick release of the cord with a quick pull. No need to fumble by untying and untangling. There are many ways you can set up to tie the cord. This is my way of improvising instead of using a jig. Clamp the "pull" end (with fire steel as a buckle - in this case) down to the table and the other end is just an old lamp stand with a large clip and thin metal rods from a photo stand. Almost done.. you can do this in 2 colors but that would mean joining 2 different color cords together so instead of one long cord, you get 2 shorter cords when the bracelet is unraveled. This design is "wider" compared to most other designs - almost 1 1/4" wide. The advantage would be it packs more cordage into the bracelet. I have small wrist - 6.5" actual diameter and this design packs in about 11' of cordage into the bracelet. You can find many videos on Youtube on h